Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Them's conflict'in words

Got conflict? If not, you're missing out. I'm a believer that conflict is good. I started this post last night, after a day of people standing up for their ideas/pride/intentions. It was beautiful. There were arguments. There were frowns. There was passionate discussion. And by the end of the day, the best possible scenario emerged and everyone felt great. Beautiful.

I'm more chilled-out this morning, after a great early run and a bagel. However, I want to continue my train of thought. Conflict is good. Companies need conflict to be out in the open. The fine line between conflict and fighting is the maturity level of those involved, I believe. When adult-minded people disagree on a solution, oftentimes a better one results. When children disagree, feelings are hurt and agression manifests itself.

Two links to illustrate conflict:
Conflict and failure often are linked and I see them as equally important topics. Mason Cole's Vy Blog always inspires me. Last week, I read his post on Wieden and Kennedy's WK12 and was moved by the latest group to go through the "school" and its construction of the mantra "Fail Harder" with 150,000 thumbtacks. Brilliant. There's now a digital sticky note on my desktop in honor of the great creed.

Also check out Olivier Blanchard's post today on the Zinedine Zidane headbutt in the World Cup Finals. Blanchard takes an interesting angle on conflict and more importantly standing up for one's own self. Make sure you read the middle section on business. Good stuff.

Companies that encourage discussion open the door to constructive conflict. By creating an environment of respect and collaboration, conflict can be a normal part of the process toward success.

1 Comments:

Blogger Olivier Blanchard said...

Great post, Andy.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home