Thursday, June 22, 2006

Better than you

One of my favorite ad blogs/podcasts, American Copywriter, posted on the debate surrounding the "niceness" of Apple's new PC/Mac spots. The comments are great. My two cents: Apple's product is so much better than its competitors' products it's darn time the average Joe knew he could enter into world domination by paying an extra chunk of change for a laptop.

I know, because I've experienced the switch. I've sniffed the opportunity of conquering creative lands formerly unreachable. I'm Andy Woolard, and this is my story.

Seriously, I have a personal testimonial that justifies why I think Apple is dead on in its "I'm better than you" position. One of the perks of my new job is the MacBook Pro on which I am typing. Even more perky is Garage Band, which came standard on this machine (which, as the new "out of the box" spot claims, I set up in about five fun minutes). Garage Band is my new best friend. It's completely replaced my need for sleep, food and human interaction. And though I played guitar and wrote my own songs prior to owning a Mac, this great program (technical, yet intuitive) has allowed me to do things with my limited skills I never thought possible.

I'm currently about halfway to having a two-track (vocal and guitar) recording of my own songs. And I have about five covers recorded.
I've added piano (which I don't know how to play), drums and a fretless electric bass tracks to a couple songs.
I've saved these songs into my iTunes library and iPod. I listened to myself while walking my dog last night. Freaky.

It blows my mind that a mere month ago, I was finding torn-out sheets of half-written songs under my couch and now I could, in an afternoon, put together a CD (albeit an extremely rough CD that only my mother would enjoy).

But this is the power of what Apple has done. It's created programs such as iMovie, Garage Band, iPhoto on a platform that graphic designers, musicians, artists already prefer and offered an opportunity for a first-time filmmaker to a professional post-production guru to further (or discover!) what they love. That's worth the extra cost of Mac machines. It's worth some cockiness.

Listening to: Aidan Hawken - Pillows and Records

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

You should use the garage band program to put one of your blog postings to music. Just make sure it's not the day that you blog about how much you hate women or government...

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo -

Put your songs on the website so we can listen...

8:01 AM  
Blogger Andy Woolard said...

Klucker: I can't figure out how to post audio to the blog...plus, not sure these rough cuts are ready for public consumption.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home