Tuesday, March 06, 2007

The wonders of medicine

Alright...I'm getting some heat for my Beatles comments...but nothing from fans of the ocean. So a change of subject. I'm sitting at home reflecting on a conversation I had tonight with my grandmother, who broke her hip yesterday morning. She is recovering well from a surgery today that repaired the break and has left her even more mushy and sweet than she was before the pain meds kicked in.

It's absolutely amazing to me that doctors can go in and repair something in an hour. Something as serious as a break in the hip! We - as in the majority of Americans - are so lucky to have such a luxury. The opportunity for health and more importantly recovery. And it's something I'm sure we all take for granted. I was reminded of this luxury the other day when I went to get a dental cleaning. I walked over to the front desk to presumably pay, and the receptionist told me it was all covered by my insurance. Now, my insurance has covered check ups for years, but it did strike me as a luxury and now, even more, I'm appreciative.

So my grandmother, whom I absolutely love, is doing well. She's groggy, but understood the events of my day and was interested in Kansas City's weather (which in her mind is much different from Lawrence's weather).

There's not a huge point to this post other than to think about the little things that really are quite big. The insurance. The quality health care. The opportunity to recover.

Listening to - Arcade Fire, Neon Bible

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got some heat for you about not liking the ocean. I mean, I couldn't care less about the Beatles, but the OCEAN?! Who doesn't like the Ocean? That is ridiculous. I LIVE to be at the ocean....
Otherwise, glad your grandmother is okay.. :)

9:06 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh no! I'm glad your grandmother is OK. Wish her well for me.

I've heard you say that the ocean isn't THAT bad before... once... a couple of years ago... Plus, without an ocean, there would be no PIRATES!

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home