Tuesday, December 19, 2006

If you have to ask why, you'll never find out

(mt. hood, oregon)

Just got back from my morning run and as I brewed some coffee, I paused to hear the latest news from NPR on the missing Mt. Hood climbers. I've been watching this tragic event unfold with interest, as mountaineering and climbing are adventures for which I have great respect.

Morning Edition's Renee Montagne interviewed National Geographic journalist Tim Neville and while talking about the difficulty in winter climbing, asked (I paraphrase): "Why would they (missing climbers) want to do this?" I was dumbfounded. Seriously? Tim responded more politely than I would have, talking about the missing climbers' mountain past experiences and skills.

My response: "Renee, if you have to ask why, you'll never find out."

So which kind of person are you? Do you ask why, or do you ask when.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ask when, not why. It is definately time to get out of Kansas for a big camping trip.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home