Thursday, August 17, 2006

A novel game of tag

I was tagged by Joel Mathis, of Cup O' Joel. I'm honored, Joel. Sometimes blogger-to-blogger tags can be sort of lame, but I dug this one. All about books. The tag game works like this: blogger tags five people to respond to a series of questions, new blogger tags five more, etc. I enjoy seeing the different sides of bloggers I read through topics on which they might not normally post. So here goes.

1. One book that changed your life.

American Dreams: Lost and Found, Studs Terkel. I read this during my senior year of college and it helped me bridge the gap between journalism and the writer I was hoping to become, while opening my eyes to the real world I was about to enter. This book is filled with hope, guts, trials and shows the true hearts of Americans who are chasing their own dreams.

2. One book you have read more than once.

Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor. Keillor was the reason I started focusing on fiction writing in college. I wanted to be just like him: radio show, novels, columns, red socks. I still have a framed picture of the two of us on my desk at home for inspiration.

3. One book you would want on a desert island

The Bible. It may sound cliche, but seriously, I've always wanted to read this from cover to cover and truly digest the contents. Also, when I'm found by a fishing boat, and a news story breaks the wires, I'd rather be known as the bearded survivor who relied on spear fishing and the Gospels than the bearded guy with an airport-purchased Grisham novel in his hand.

4. One book that made you laugh.

Naked by David Sedaris. Closely followed by Me Talk Pretty One Day. Line-by-line laughs. Sedaris is an amazing storyteller and comic wonder.

5. One book that made you cry.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I'm not sure I actually shed a tear, but it was the most heartwarming, heart-tugging book I've read in a long while.

6. One book you wish you had written.

Independence Day by Richard Ford. This is an amazing book - won the Pen Faulkner and Pulitzer in the same year. The first book ever to do that. To truly invest in the characters and storyline, read The Sportswriter first. I had the privelege of meeting Ford at a writing conference and hearing him read a few short stories - also wonderful reads.

7. One book you are currently reading.

Let My People Go Surfing: The Education of a Reluctant Businessman, by Yvon Chouinard. Yvon is the founder of Patagonia. I'm in awe of his business sense, however "reluctant" he claims to be...he was successful by doing the right thing. Plain and simple. It's a great blueprint for any company and all managers.

8. One book you have been meaning to read.

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything, Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner. If I had a doller for every person who has recommended this book, I'd have at least five bucks. I just need to buy it. And read it.


Five bloggers I'm tagging.

Mason
Risley
Caroline
Jenne
Sara

Listening to - Cat Power, The Greatest.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

I REALLY wanted to put "TTW" as the book that made me cry, but I didn't want to copy you too much. That book is gorgeous, and I love all of the real Chicago references.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Andy Woolard said...

Being that you're the one who took me to the bookstore, insisted I buy it, then took me to the places it was set, you deserve the credit. Wouldn't be copying, but stating your influential status.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Ha, that's true. Didn't you almost not read it? I'm glad you did. I think it's a love-or-hate book.

So is it more important to read to learn or read to unwind? Or is it just important to read at all in your opinion?

1:40 PM  
Blogger Andy Woolard said...

After three women told the they and their daughters/bridge club/sisters read TTW, I got a little insecure...but I plowed through. Had to crack open a Pabst each time I read though.

I believe it's more important to read period. Then the learning/unwinding are the products of that effort. The joy of reading is not knowing what experience you will have.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Don't worry. I believe you're totally butch.

I agree that it's important for people to read at all. If they get pleasure out of a Dan Brown or John Grisham book then so be it. For me, I read for language and the imagery I create in my own head, so I'm more particular. I'll read a boring story with great writing, but I can't read an interesting story that's written like a screenplay.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phew. I was starting to think you hadn't noticed...

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all due respect, I'm gonna have to go with "Me Talk Pretty One Day" over "Naked." I got shushed on a plane for laughing so hard a that book. Funny, funny, funny stuff.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home