Thursday, August 03, 2006

Safety Happens, and I applaud

I've been on a bit of a kick over the past year as I disagreed with some of the campaigns Crispin Porter came up with for my beloved VW brand. But I've gotta say, things are looking up. I'm happily past the days of "Fast" and the "German Rap" ads and have been wowed by the Gypsy Cab Project and CPB's "Safe Happens" campaign. Another spot here. And check out the Web component here.

Brilliant. The TV, paired with the Web execution is a ballsy look at a top-of-mind reality of driving, but an answer to a core need car buyers bring to the lot. Kudos to VW for having the guts to take on safety front and center. And CPB found a way to showcase the Jetta's style/demographic/cool factor all while driving (no pun intended) home an important message. Yeah, even hip Gen Y-ers want side impact performance. My favorite part of the spots? The last line in both is "Holy sh..." which trails off and is replaced by a picture of the busted Jetta.

I doubt many other automakers would dare focus end-of-spot attention on a rotating wrecked auto, but at the end of the day, we're always wondering..."Am I safe?" Right after we wonder, "How good do I look in this car!?" VW addressed both.

Listening to: Jonathon Bentley, Estuary

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home