Monday, January 23, 2006

Alright Apple, you're pissing me off.

I'm not sure whether to eat crow yet or stick to my guns regarding Apple's brand ripoffery streak. The shenanigans. I'm talking about the new Intel ad, which turns out, is a carbon copy of the Postal Service's "Such Great Heights" video. Even created by the same folks responsible for PS's music video. Lugz ad part 2? Another rip off? A reason for me to steam off another blog post? One half of the Postal Service, Ben Gibbard, is not happy. Or is he?

I read the American Copywriter blog today and was at first pleased to see they showed similar angst (even wrote an earlier post about the Lugz commercial). Then I kept reading and realized Seth might be on to something. Maybe Apple meant to do it. Maybe Apple pulled something over on me, the seemingly astute consumer. But what about me, the marketer? I should have seen this one coming. I should have called Apple's bluff long ago, as American Copywriter did.

After all, trouble breeds publicity and publicity breeds awareness and awareness makes you want to buy a docking station for your brand new iPod. Or something like that....

I was duped into getting all fired up. Maybe that's exactly what Apple wanted me to do. Get pissed and blog about the commercials. Tell people about the nerve Apple must carry to so blatantly rip off another commercial - and now twice! The consumer in me is mad at the possibility. And you know what? The marketer in me isn't too impressed. Lying doesn't get you friends. It gets you attention, sure, but not friends.

Way to go, Apple. You coordinated controversy. But who did you lose in the process? Ben Gibbard? Or is he in on it? Me? Or will I continue to pursue the purchase of a new PowerBook with Intel?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home