Thursday, January 19, 2006

Recommendations for a snow-filled weekend.

We're supposed to get a heap-o-snow this weekend. I'm looking forward to it, as this is my first weekend back on my marathon training schedule after being sidelined by the doc. This is me being optimistic. So, how does one best the elements after weeks of unseasonably mild weather? Other than putting on the winter-weather gear and hitting the pavement? One listens to hot music. One does not mistake "hot music" for "Fiddy" or "Black Eyed Peas" or crap like that. One takes Woolard's female-artist-themed advice to warm up in any climate.

Listen to:
Gillian Welch's album, Soul Journey. Nothing like a southpaw drawl to melt the porch steps.
Cat Power: check out You Are Free. This girl's got undiscovered soul, and it took a New York Times article to convince me of her merit. It's all I've listened to this week.
Emmylou Harris: Wrecking Ball. Old album, amazing songwriting.

Find your inner female folk singer. Like chicken soup. But prettier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home