Sunday, July 15, 2007

Psycho Psummer Rocked...literally.

on saturday i ran the psycho psummer trail run, organized by the KC Trail Nerds. heckuva race Nerds, kudos to the organization, on-route care and well-attended race. i ran the 15 miler, while some ran the 50K. wow! my hat is off to those finishers. 15 on the steep, rocky and scree-filled trails is about double the workout of 15 on road, which gave me a nice confidence boost as i crossed the finish line almost an hour past my road half marathon PR time.

the morning was beautiful, not too hot, and the trails nestled deep in the Wyandotte County Lake Park were shaded the whole way through. i was blessed to have a great cheering section meeting me along the various points where we popped out of the trails to cross the road, and as i learned from the Psycho Wyco winter race, the on-trail support between runners exceeded that of which you'd ever find in road races. the constant camaraderie and pack-support were fun to be part of.

i carried the mandatory water system (CamelBak) as well as a hand held of Hammer Perpetuem mix and a few Hammer Endurolytes. i squeezed down two Hammer Gels during the run, all of which, in sync, had me feeling great the whole way through. also experimented with an increased coffee consumption before the race, which seemed to settle just fine and give me the needed caffeine an perk. recovery meal included Fat Tire and chicken nachos. yum.

i tested new socks yesterday as well. i normally run in Smartwools, but tried the injinji tetrasocks - which worked perfectly...i think i have a new favorite distance-running sock. i have a narrow foot and the injinjis are pretty thin, so i put a pair of Smartwools over them. though the double-up proved to be too much bulk at times, i ended the race with no blisters or even hotspots...and i beat my feet up pretty good.


first quarter of the race...I look so happy.

one of the road crossings...more serious countenance

finish-line nostril shot!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha. "Nostril shot" made me laugh out loud real hard..just because you titled it that. Way to go on that race!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

You're a study Andy! I ran 1.5 miles 3 times last week without stopping - felt pretty good about that. :)

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work, buddy. Your runs make me feel like an inadequate athlete!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Garrett Sorrels said...

Why wasnt I invited? What, you dont think I could handle a trail run. I probably could

Kidding- nice work.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home