Tuesday, November 07, 2006

What's wrong with our country?

It's election day. This morning my vote dove from an electronic touch-screen in Roeland Park into a series of tubes that end, I can only guess, near Al Gore's house, which I think is where he invented the Internet.

I will say, I am a little uncomfortable with our democratic process when a sweet 80-year-old woman is trying to position her bifocals correctly just to find my name, then ask me to repeat the spelling louder, then spend five minutes SHOUTING my name to the next woman who then stumbles me through the electronic voting process. And it made perfect sense to me that the 20-something volunteer (who I'd imagine dabbled in electricity once or twice) was in charge of peeling the "I Voted" stickers off the reel.

But what disturbs me more about the state of our nation, is that today, election day, when both the House and Senate could be drastically changed, when electronic voting is causing worry and disruption throughout polling places, when we're at war in two countries, the following qualifies as breaking news on CNN.com:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang it Woolard - apparently we didn't have enough volunteers in our precinct to pass out the "I voted" stickers. I still feel shunned!

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There wasn't anyone passing out stickers at my voting location either, but there were golden oldies!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Andy Woolard said...

I was part of a democracy scavenger hunt....

If you voted down the party line you received a free Frosty from Wendy's.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home