Tuesday, April 04, 2006

More on our changing culture

I've been reading a heck of a lot on trending and culture lately. I'm fascinated especially by Gen Y and the complete lack of interest we show in following our predecessors. It is key to our short-term heartburn, but our long-term success/world domination/kick assery. I think my interest in my own generation was peaked when Risley and I chatted after the New Communications Forum. I've blogged on another New Comm Forum attendee, Jory Des Jardins, before. She's who one of the smartest people I know. And I don't even really know her. But I'd like to and I will continue pushing her ideas because everyone should know what Jory is talking about.

She just blogged on the next generation of job searches and what my generation looks for and expects. She talks about what Gen Xers and Boomers want and more importantly, wish they had. Holy crap, she nails it. As I commented on her blog, give this woman a freakin' hammer.

This is important for companies and individuals alike. Moreover, it's an important reminder that we can't always do the same things over and over again. Maybe we need to cater to people more often than we expect people to cater to us. Us being a company/brand/service/whatever.

Sure, it's important for me personally to understand what I want and need and am challenged by. It's important for me to understand my peers. But it's more important to me as a communicator to understand how the needs of the Gen Y culture shape the future of marketing, branding, living. And respond.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home