Saturday, March 08, 2008

and then this happened


spent the afternoon bouldering and then went to "check out" the new bike shop near my home (39th street). Volker Bicycles is a big fat "thank you Jesus" in my world. no more long drives to the bike shop. plus, the owner is a great guy and they've got an amazing stock of brands (from jerseys to bikes) you don't see around Kansas City. as icing on the cake, they sell Walz Caps, which makes me happy.

so i get inside and immediately see the Swobo Del Norte sitting in the front of the store. i have all intentions of not buying anything. i'm just getting finished converting my old mtn bike into a commuter for work and play and am planning to buy a new mtn bike this month...but, it's hard to miss with red rims/hubs/chain and silver reflective tape on the track-style handlebars. i did a couple laps, then got to talking about it. single speed, front and rear brake. steel frame.


and then i take it for a test ride. and lost all self control. steel frames are tight. rides like a Cadillac. the little machine hummed through Midtown and the fact that i was freezing my ass off didn't matter at all. i was falling in love.

get back and let them know i need to run some numbers (this is the new Andy...trading massive impulse for measured impulse). i think i was back at the shop in an hour and bought the little mama out from under a nice couple who were getting too close to my new toy.

i bundled up and have been riding since. it's just freakin' sweet. there's really little else to say. fits me perfectly, makes me 10 times cooler (thanks, Swobo!), will be a solid and stylish commuter come spring, and even looks pretty rad in my living room (the road bike is going to be jealous when it comes back from Multisport spin and sees its space taken).

("The detailing is phat," said Monk. "If I hadn't just been outside, I'd pee on it and make it mine.")

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who did that vagina painting on your wall? Pretty good. Oh, and I guess the bike is cool too.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Andy Woolard said...

this was like one of those visual tests to see what one focuses on when two things are in the picture.

in many circles, you win.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on the bike! that's awesome...the red chain blew my mind.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Garrett Sorrels said...

Nice bike, Andy. I like.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Volker Bicycles of KC said...

Glad to see you are enjoying the bicycle. Shoot me an email at volkerbicycles@gmail.com...would love to talk about your work!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

we need to take a spin on the pavement sometime soon I have a road bike now to go with the ,mtb.

holla

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home