Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My marathon

This time next week, I'll be back at work, sore and tired from running my first marathon. I'm heading to Austin this weekend with my mom and dad to run the Freescale Austin Marathon. My mom is running the half, and my dad and I will do the full. I was driving to work this morning and realized that "marathon" is a perfect word to describe the emotional and physical preparation for the actual marathon.

I've been a runner for a long time now, running 5 and 10 Ks, half marathons and keeping a consistent weekly training schedule. But on October 18th, I officially turned my focus toward Austin. As someone with a very short attention span and frequent boredom, committing to running at least 5 days a week for about 18 weeks - in the middle of winter! - has been a huge success in itself. In addition to the difficulty of training, my body has thrown in a couple major hurdles. I've spent many mornings before work at the physical therapist's office and many afternoons getting second and third opinions from numerous doctors. I'm not shy to say I'm damn proud of my effort and the distance I've come.

I'm ready to run this. Physically, I'm in the best shape of my life. Emotionally, I want this worse than anything. My mind's eye replays my finish, which holds a great deal of emotional stock. My dad's been running marathons for a few years - he's an amazing runner. I've always wanted to run with him. Finishing a marathon next to dad will be an awesome experience.

Going to Austin with my parents is fitting, as they've truly been my support system in this. My dad adds advice and joins me on long runs. My mom has given up countless weekend hours to meet us for water and food stops along the training route. As we all meet after mom finishes the half, and dad and I have finished the full, I expect the best family bonding moment of my 26(.2) years.

Expect a full report next week. Till then, I have some carb-loading to do.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Running a marathon requires so much of a person. When you talk about all that you have been through in training, people sometimes don’t understand the full meaning of what you are saying. Running is not for everyone. Walking, riding bikes, and enjoying other types of activities carry the same importance, struggles, and dedication that running a marathon takes. However, running a marathon takes different amounts of sacrifice. The difficult and challenging training schedule, the nutrition plans, the countless hours of mental preparation, and the determination to reach that finish line all combine to make you a success. Andy, you have done all of that. You are ready. You have reached your goals and now is the time to enjoy all of the moments that surround a marathon. Crossing the finish line with you will be incredible. As your Dad, I am so proud of you and motivated by you. Many people run marathons every day in their lives. Ours is a different kind. We will run on the streets of Austin. It will be an experience that we will remember and cherish for years. We have many people to thank and be thankful for. “Let’s Go!” Dad

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy, I am so proud of you. You are going to do wonderfully and I will be rooting for you from afar. GOOD LUCK! And a hug.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Esue said...

Awesome. Good luck! We want photos!

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home