Friday, April 08, 2005

I write, right?

Two thank yous are in order. First, thank you Jeff Risley for reminding me I haven't posted in a couple days. And thanks to my blog for providing me with an outlet for creative writing. It's an outlet I'd been missing.

I used to write all the time. I wrote concurrently for two newspapers during college. When I was in Japan, I sent a large list of friends and relatives a lengthy e-mail every week for one year (my first foray into blogging). And not to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty proud of the national fiction writing awards I won as an ambitious English major. Somewhere between graduation and Friday April 8, 2005 I stopped writing for enjoyment.

My first job out of college was as a copywriter for an ad agency. I thought I'd found the best of both worlds: I love writing, I love receiving a paycheck. And though I enjoy the public relations writing I do daily, I miss broadening my keystrokes and sharpening the creative edge that I so important to good professional and creative writing.

First order of business: I'm going to spend this weekend with two pieces of literature that provided inspiration (creative and professional) years ago: On Writing by Stephen King and How I Write, an article Garrison Keillor wrote for The London Times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home