Thursday, May 19, 2005

Stranded

I just returned from a biz trip in San Diego and I'm definitely feeling the "being-back funk." I participated in a productive client meeting with people I truly enjoy being around, I was on the beach, in the sun, with plenty of time for some overdue personal reflection. Hard to beat.

Three days were all I needed to fill half a notebook full of thoughts, direction, ideas and inspiration. By the time I landed in KC last night, I felt very satisfied with my discoveries and was eager to move on them. Then, I woke up this morning and BAM! the only tangible thing I had to show for the better part of this week was a sunburned forehead.

When I'm faced with such feelings, I normally download a new album from iTunes...an expensive habit, but quite effective. Today, I downloaded Van Morrison's new album, Magic Time. It's great.

By the middle of the first song, Stranded, I'd found my inspiration again and hung on to one of his lines: "Every, every, everyday it's hustle time." Not like "do-the-hustle time," and it's sung in Morrison's signature, pained and transparent way. I'm about halfway through the album as I write this, and about a quarter of the way back to my San Diego state of mind.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's because you finally let the ocean into your heart. The sea loves you.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home